DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant is a high-performance, one-part, neutral-cure silicone sealant designed for a wide range of applications. It is commonly used for sealing and bonding applications in construction, automotive, and industrial applications. This sealant is known for its excellent adhesion, weather ability, and durability. It can withstand extreme temperatures, UV radiation, and chemical exposure, making it suitable for use in harsh environments.
Some of the key features and benefits of this sealant include:
- Excellent Adhesion: DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant has excellent adhesion to a wide range of substrates, including glass, aluminum, stainless steel, painted surfaces, and many others.
- Weatherability: This sealant can withstand extreme temperatures, UV radiation, and chemical exposure, making it suitable for use in harsh environments.
- Low VOC: DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant is a low-VOC product, which means it has low emissions and is environmentally friendly.
- Good Movement Capability: The sealant has good movement capability, which allows it to accommodate building movements and substrate changes without cracking or peeling.
- Easy to Apply: The sealant is easy to apply and can be gunned, troweled, or pumped into place.
- Long-Lasting Durability: DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant is designed to provide long-lasting durability and maintain its performance over time.
- Variety of Colors: The sealant is available in a variety of colors, including white, black, and gray, to match various substrates and surfaces.
- Building Construction: The sealant can be used for sealing and bonding applications in building construction, including sealing gaps and joints in windows, doors, roofs, facades, and other building components.
- Automotive Industry: DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant can be used for sealing and bonding applications in the automotive industry, including sealing gaps and joints in car doors, windows, and trunks.
- Industrial Applications: The sealant can be used in various industrial applications, including sealing and bonding components in electrical and electronic equipment, machinery, and appliances.
- Marine Industry: The sealant is suitable for use in the marine industry for sealing and bonding applications on boats, ships, and other marine equipment.
- Aerospace Industry: DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant can also be used in the aerospace industry for sealing and bonding applications on aircraft, including sealing gaps and joints in aircraft windows, doors, and other components.
How to Use
Here are the general steps on how to use DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant:
- Surface Preparation: Ensure that the surface to be sealed is clean, dry, and free from any loose debris or contaminants. Clean the surface with a suitable cleaning agent and let it dry completely before applying the sealant.
- Joint Design: The joint design should follow the recommended standards for the specific application.
- Masking: If necessary, mask the joint to achieve a neat and clean finish. Apply masking tape to the areas surrounding the joint, leaving a gap of approximately 2mm on either side of the joint.
- Application: Cut the tip of the sealant cartridge or container to the required size and apply the sealant directly into the joint using a caulking gun. Apply the sealant continuously and uniformly, ensuring that it fills the joint.
- Tooling: Tool the sealant within 5 to 10 minutes of application, using a suitable tool, such as a spatula, to ensure a smooth and even finish. Do not tool the sealant after the skin has formed, as this may damage the sealant and affect its performance.
- Curing: Allow the sealant to cure for the recommended time before exposing it to any stress or movement. The curing time may vary depending on the conditions, such as temperature and humidity. Refer to the product datasheet for the recommended curing time.
- Cleaning: Any excess or uncured sealant can be easily removed using a suitable cleaning agent.
Note: Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for the specific application and surface. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, when using any sealant product.
Here are some handling precautions to keep in mind when working with DOWSIL™ Neutral Plus Silicone Sealant:
- Personal Protective Equipment: Wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, to protect the skin and eyes from contact with the sealant.
- Ventilation: Ensure adequate ventilation in the work area to prevent the build-up of vapors and dust.
- Storage: Store the sealant in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated area, away from sources of heat, flame, and direct sunlight.
- Transportation: Handle and transport the sealant by local, state, and federal regulations.
- Compatibility: Ensure that the sealant is compatible with the substrates and materials being used in the application. Test the sealant on a small area first to ensure compatibility.
- Clean-Up: Clean any spills or excess sealant immediately using a suitable cleaning agent.
- Disposal: Dispose of any excess or waste sealant following local, state, and federal regulations.
Usable Life and Storage
Storage: Store the sealant in its original container and keep it tightly closed when not in use. Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures, direct sunlight, and moisture. If the sealant is exposed to high humidity or moisture, it may affect the quality and performance of the product.
Usable Life: Once the sealant is opened, its usable life may vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to air. Generally, the usable life of the sealant after opening is approximately 12 months.
Here are some limitations of this product:
- Not suitable for use on some materials:It is not recommended for use on some materials, such as natural stone and some metals, without prior testing for compatibility.
- Not recommended for submerged or continuous water immersion: The sealant is not recommended for use in submerged or continuous water immersion applications.
- Not recommended for structural glazing: The product is not recommended for use in structural glazing applications where the sealant is required to support any load.
- Not recommended for horizontal applications: The sealant is not recommended for horizontal applications or where it may be exposed to foot traffic or physical abrasion.
- Limited movement capability: The sealant has limited movement capability and is not recommended for use in high movement or expansion joint applications.