DOWSIL™ Neutral Fungicide Silicone Sealant is a type of silicone sealant that is designed to resist the growth of mold and mildew. It is a one-component, neutral-cure silicone sealant that is used in a wide range of applications, including sealing around windows, doors, and other building components.
Features & Benefits
- Fungicidal properties: It contains a fungicide that helps to prevent the growth of mold and mildew, which can help to improve the overall hygiene and cleanliness of an area.
- Neutral cure: It is a one-component, neutral-cure silicone sealant that cures at room temperature. This means it is easy to use and does not require any special mixing or application procedures.
- Excellent adhesion: It has excellent adhesion to a wide variety of building materials, including glass, metal, plastic, and masonry. This means it can be used in a wide range of applications.
- Weather and UV resistance: It is highly resistant to weathering, UV radiation, and temperature changes, making it ideal for use in both indoor and outdoor applications.
- Flexible and durable: It is a flexible and durable sealant that can withstand movement and vibration, making it ideal for use in applications where there is frequent or heavy traffic.
DOWSIL™ Neutral Fungicide Silicone Sealant can be used in a wide variety of applications, including:
- Sealing around windows and doors: It can be used to create a weatherproof seal around windows and doors to prevent air and water leaks.
- Sealing in bathrooms and kitchens: It is ideal for use in bathrooms and kitchens, where moisture and humidity levels are high and mold and mildew growth can be a problem.
- Sealing around sinks and tubs: It can be used to create a watertight seal around sinks and tubs, preventing water from seeping into the surrounding area.
- Sealing in swimming pools and hot tubs: It is highly resistant to water and chlorine, making it an ideal sealant for use in swimming pools and hot tubs.
How to Use
Here are the general steps for using DOWSIL™ Neutral Fungicide Silicone Sealant:
- Prepare the surface: The surface to be sealed should be clean, dry, and free of dirt, dust, and debris. Any old sealant or adhesive should be removed using a suitable solvent or tool.
- Cut the tip of the cartridge: Cut the tip of the cartridge nozzle to the desired size and angle using a sharp knife or scissors.
- Insert the cartridge into the caulking gun: Insert the cartridge into a standard caulking gun and apply steady pressure on the trigger to dispense the sealant.
- Apply the sealant: Apply the sealant in a continuous bead along the joint or surface to be sealed, using a smooth, even motion. Use a caulking tool or your finger to smooth out the sealant and ensure good adhesion.
- Tool the sealant: After applying the sealant, use a caulking tool or your finger to tool the sealant, smoothing it out and creating a smooth, even finish.
- Allow the sealant to cure: Allow the sealant to cure at room temperature for at least 24 hours before exposing it to moisture or other environmental conditions.
- Clean up: Clean any excess sealant or tools with a suitable solvent or soapy water before the sealant dries.
Usable Life and Storage
Usable life: DOWSIL™ Neutral Fungicide Silicone Sealant typically has a usable life of 12 months from the date of manufacture. However, this may vary depending on the specific product and the storage conditions. It's important to always check the expiration date on the product packaging before using it.
Storage: DOWSIL™ Neutral Fungicide Silicone Sealant should be stored in a cool, dry place that is free from frost and direct sunlight. The product should be stored at a temperature between 5°C and 25°C (41°F and 77°F) for optimal results. It's also important to keep the product away from sources of ignition and combustible materials.
- Not suitable for structural glazing: DOWSIL™ Neutral Fungicide Silicone Sealant is not recommended for use in structural glazing applications, where the sealant is required to provide a high degree of structural strength.
- Not recommended for immersion: It is not recommended for continuous immersion in water or other liquids. While it is highly resistant to water, it may not be able to withstand prolonged exposure to submerged conditions.
- Not recommended for use on some substrates: It may not adhere well to some surfaces, such as polyethylene, polypropylene, Teflon, and some other plastics. It's always important to test the sealant on a small, inconspicuous area before applying it to a larger surface.
- May not be compatible with some paints: DOWSIL™ Neutral Fungicide Silicone Sealant may not be compatible with some paints and coatings. It's always important to check with the paint manufacturer before applying the sealant.