DOWSIL™ 737 Neutral Cure Sealant is a one-part, non-corrosive silicone sealant designed for a wide range of sealing and bonding applications. It is suitable for use on a variety of substrates including glass, metal, plastic, and painted surfaces. The "neutral cure" in the name refers to the curing process of the sealant, which means that it releases neutral byproducts (usually water vapor) as it cures, making it non-corrosive to most metals.
Features & Benefits
- Neutral curing: It is a neutral cure sealant, meaning it releases alcohol as it cures rather than acetic acid, which is found in acetoxy cure sealants. This makes it more suitable for use with sensitive materials such as metals and plastics.
- Versatile: This sealant is suitable for use on a wide range of surfaces, including glass, metal, ceramics, and plastics. It can be used for sealing and bonding applications in construction, automotive, and industrial settings.
- Excellent adhesion: It offers excellent adhesion to a variety of surfaces, providing a strong and durable bond. It can withstand exposure to weathering, moisture, and other environmental factors.
- Good flexibility: This sealant has good flexibility, which means it can accommodate movement and expansion in the surfaces it is applied to. This makes it ideal for use in areas that experience regular movement, such as window and door frames.
- Easy to apply: It is easy to apply and can be used with standard caulking guns. It has a smooth and consistent consistency, making it easy to work with and ensuring a professional-looking finish.
- Long-lasting: Once cured, DOWSIL™ 737 provides a long-lasting seal, ensuring excellent performance over an extended period of time.
DOWSIL™ 737 Neutral Cure Sealant is designed for diverse OEM and assembly applications. General uses include bonding and sealing, formed-inplace gasketing and maintenance applications. Specific uses include:
- Window and door frames: It can be used for sealing and bonding window and door frames to provide an airtight and watertight seal. Its good flexibility allows it to accommodate movement and expansion in the frames.
- HVAC systems: This sealant is suitable for sealing HVAC ducts, vents, and other components to prevent air leakage and improve energy efficiency.
- Electrical applications: It can be used for sealing electrical enclosures, providing insulation and protection against moisture and other environmental factors.
- Automotive applications: This sealant is used for sealing and bonding automotive components, such as windshields, sunroofs, and taillights.
- Industrial applications: It can be used for sealing and bonding various industrial components, such as tanks, pipes, and equipment.
- Marine applications: This sealant is also suitable for marine applications, such as sealing and bonding boat hatches and windows, and protecting against water intrusion.
Usable Life and Storage
The usable life of DOWSIL™ 737 depends on the specific application and the conditions under which it is used. Generally, it can take up to 24 hours to form a surface skin and up to seven days to fully cure, depending on temperature, humidity, and joint depth. The product should be kept tightly closed in its original container and should be protected from moisture and direct sunlight. The recommended storage temperature is between 5°C and 27°C (41°F and 80°F). The shelf life of the product is 12 months from the date of manufacture when stored as recommended.
- Limited UV resistance: It is not recommended for prolonged exposure to UV radiation, as it may result in discoloration or degradation of the sealant.
- Limited adhesion to certain surfaces: It provides excellent adhesion to a wide range of surfaces, it may not adhere well to certain materials such as some natural stone, some plastics, and some coatings. It is important to perform adhesion tests before use to ensure compatibility.
- Not recommended for continuous immersion in water: It is suitable for use in areas exposed to moisture, it is not recommended for applications where it will be continuously immersed in water.
- Not suitable for food contact: DOWSIL™ 737 is not suitable for use in applications involving direct food contact or where there is a risk of contamination.
- Not recommended for structural glazing: This sealant is not recommended for use in structural glazing applications, where it will be required to bear the weight of the glazing system.